Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dirty Flashback to August

I thought I'd post my card entries for the August Dirty Dozen gallery.  Our theme that month was "In Your Footsteps" and I thought Lydia summed it up so well in her description: "No one creates art in a vacuum. Each of us has been inspired by people, places and things - we all have heroes of one kind or another - and the strongest influences are always present in our creations. Join us on a journey to the heart of artistic inspiration this month as we reveal whose footsteps we walk in!" 
 Here was my favorite card for the month...inspired by a trio of shabby chic heroes (Teresa Kline, Linda Duke, Andrea Ewen).
 
Another group of heroes we never want to forget...our military men and women who serve our country...

 My MIL was anything but the stereotypical MIL...she was a faithful prayer warrior who had the most amazing green thumb and loved her flowers...indoors and out!
 There are always those special teachers who have inspired us along the way...
 This card was based on Wendy's inspirational photo...
This is a CASE of our birth announcement for our oldest son. I had pre-made the cards except for the image. After his birth, I had the nurse "stamp" his actual footprint on paper then photocopied multiple copies. I cut out the image and added it to the cards with the sentiment "A Miracle Has Stepped Into Our Lives". Fun memory! Of course, the original had no roses, ribbons, die cuts or embossing folders - lol!
 My dad was always a spiritual leader in our home...quiet...serving by example...
 And last but not least, my late mother was definitely a huge hero in my life.  This shadow box was a trip down memory lane as I used elements that were all representative of her life and influence.  
 A good cook...winning pie awards in local community competition...loved to garden and preserve fresh foods...great seamstress, quilter, crocheter (these flowers were made by her)...
Loved to travel (thus the map) and wintered in Florida (sea shell scene was created by her many years ago)...

So that's it for today.  I'm going to head back to work this afternoon after battling bronchitis for over a week.  I'm better but still not 100%.  I'll be back tomorrow with a new Raise the Bar challenge...see ya then!

5 comments:

Marisa said...

What a beautiful mix of cards, Wanda! Love your shabby card and what a fabulous shadow box tribute to your mom!

Sorry to hear you were knocked out cold with the bronchitis! Some nasty bugs around. I'm just now feeling better after two weeks of being sick. Energy isn't there just yet and those who have had it say it's a 3 weeker - UGH! Hope you feel 100% soon (((hugs)))

Kathy said...

Wow, Wanda, these are all amazing!!! I love the little baby foot and story, how cute and what a great idea! The shadow box for memories of your Mom, is fantastic! I totally want to do that in memory of my Mom. Thanks for sharing all these beauties and giving me some inspiration! Blessings! Kathy

JD/ Jill said...

Oh my goodness! So many fabulous cards and projects. I really like the heart card, and the baby foot print card is so special. and you are reminding me that I bought a shadow box to make a box to use as Mother's memory box too, but I didn't even start it yet...must do that...yours is so beautiful, a lovely tribute to your Mother.

Joann said...

Hi Wanda, I've been watching your blog for a while... I so love your work!. I was particularly drawn to yours hero card. I have a son in the military and would love to know where you got the stamp and sentiment. I have subscribed to follow your blog so I can enjoy your future creations.

Joann

Beate said...

Wanda, your Dirty Dozen projects look wonderful.
Hugs and smiles