Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Color Throwdown



Happy day before Thanksgiving everyone! It's a busy week for most of us celebrating the holiday in the states, but it's one of my fave holidays as I look forward to getting together with many of my out of state relatives!  I'm hosting the Color Throwdown challenge today and chose a photo with my favorite color - GREEN - along with some neutrals to go with it.   I thought it would also work for a masculine card if you didn't want to go with a Christmas theme.


I decided to "play tag" with these colors. :-)  I silver embossed the poinsettia on vellum, then chose a Copic marker (YG07) and colored on the back.  When I flipped it over, I liked the muted, lighter tone and layered it over a second poinsettia that I stamped on white cardstock using Gumball Green ink.  I die cut the large tag then embossed with SU's Square Lattice EF - a go to folder that I use often.  I cut a couple of strips of silver glitter CS then layered the flower and leaves.  While the leaves were still in the die, I sponged the veins with Gumball Green ink, removed the leaves from the die and sponged around the edges.  That little detail always makes them pop so much more!  Yellow Stickles were added to the flower center.  My second tag is simply a layered snowflake (die by SU) with a simple banner tag for the sentiment.

Remember, you don't have to use exact colors - just something close.  If you upload to a public gallery, please use the keyword CTD270 and also link up your card on the Color Throwdown blog using the linky tool.

For more inspiration, you'll want to check out the rest of the design team's creations, along with our  talented guestie, Cindy Lawrence!
                                                       Barbara Anders - Paper Pursuits
                                              Broni Holcombe - Splashes of Watercolor
Joan Ervin - Stamping With Passion
Lori Tecler - Inking Aloud
Melody Rupple - A Paper Melody
Tammy Hershberger - Stamp Happy
Vickie Zimmer -  Smitten
                                    Wanda Cullen - Cullen-ary Creations (you are here)
Cindy Lawrence - Nov./Dec. Guest Designer - The Creative Closet

STAMPS: Poinsettia and Boxwood (Flourishes), Tinsel 'n Trim (Reverse Confetti)
PAPER: Kraft, Gumball Green, White, Silver glitter CS by SU, Farm House Paper Co.
INK: Gumball Green, Versamark
ACCESSORIES: Bigz Snow Flurry die by SU, Button by SU, Jute twine, Banner die by Reverse Confetti, Poinsettia leaf die by Spellbinders, Studio Calico wood veneer stars, Jingle bells, Gumball Green ribbon (SU), Silver cording, White twine, Die-Namics Traditional tags by MFT, Square lattice EF by SU, Yellow Stickles.

11 comments:

Marlena M. said...

EXQUISITE tags Wanda! Wow!

Barbara said...

Gorgeous, Wanda! You are really rocking those tags! Love the different designs!

Joan Ervin said...

Love the colors this week, Wanda...perfect for Christmas tags!!! These are sooo pretty especially the poinsettia...I'll have to give embossing on vellum a try!!!

Marisa said...

What a fun colour combo and I just love how you used it on yoru tags!! Great work on both! Happy Thanksgiving to you ((hugs)).

Monika/Buzsy said...

Lovely tags Wanda. I just heart that poinsettia and the silver embossing and accents.

stampwithsandy said...

So stunning! Who cares what's in the package when the tag is a gift all by itself!

Tammy Hershberger said...

These tags are AWESOME, Wanda! I LOVE the poinsettia in green, and the jingle bell embellishments are fantastic! Beautiful work!

Lori said...

These are beautiful, Wanda! The embossed vellum poinsettia is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

OH MY WORD!!! Gorgeous creations, and I absolutely love that color combo! :-)

Vickie Z said...

These are gorgeous!! Love the color combo my friend....I was a little intimidated at first....fabulous colors!!

AnitaR said...

Love your tags!