Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Color Throwdown



Tammy has some super fun colors for this week's Color Throwdown Challenge and several are from SU's newest in colors which gave me a chance to FINALLY break open the new sampler CS pack I've had for weeks!


 I've been fascinated by all the mixed media techniques used on cards and other projects and decided to browse some YouTube videos for inspiration.  I found this tutorial which I used for a springboard (though I did not go into all the steps you see demonstrated).  I pulled a bunch of scrap DP from my leftover pile and cut a variety of squares and rectangles.  I applied the papers to a base of CS using Claudine Hellmuth's Studio multi-medium matte gel.  I let that dry, then brushed gesso over the top.  After letting that step dry, I did some stenciling with a Dylusions Dotted Flowers stencil and Broken China distress paint by Tim Holtz.  I also randomly sponged some Strawberry Slush and Crisp Cantaloupe ink to the BG. I stamped off once before stamping the Rich Razzleberry flowers then added a brad to the centers.  The larger flower has a resin embellishment from the In Color Boutique collection by SU.  The leafy flourish was die cut using Coastal Cabana CS.  The closest shade of ribbon I had was this satin Pool Party ribbon and was surprised at how close it was to the new blue!  The sentiment tag is from my most often used PTI set - Tiny Tags!  I've decided I definitely need some more lessons on this card style!  I shall persist! :-)

For more inspiration, you'll want to stop by and visit the other team members' blogs as well as our talented July guestie - Stacey Schafer!
Barbara Anders - Paper Pursuits
Broni Holcombe - Splashes of Watercolor
Joan Ervin - Stamping With Passion
Tammy Hershberger - Stamp Happy
                                    Wanda Cullen - Cullen-ary Creations (you are here) 
Denise Marzec - The Paper Landscaper
Stacey Schafer - Stacey's Stamping Stage

When you are finished with your creation, head over to the Color Throwdown blog to add your entry to the Inlinkz tool.  Can't wait to see what you create! 

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Great job on your mix media premier, Wanda! Ain't it FUN???

Stacey Schafer said...

gorgeous!

Broni said...

Oh, I LOVE your fabulous mixed media background, Wanda! Isn't that just so much fun!!?? I'm also so jealous that you have cardstock in the new SU colors. Guess I'll have to order some now. Great card this week!!

Joan Ervin said...

Your background looks awesome, Wanda....love the dimension you achieved and the flowers and flourish are sooo pretty!!!!

Lori said...

Love your mixed media background, Wanda! The flowers and flourish look perfect against it.

Marisa said...

Love the BG you created!! Fabulous card!