Monday, September 1, 2014

Going Boldly Into September



After getting groceries, doing some laundry, cleaning up my sun room, etc., I decided that was enough labor for this day - lol - and headed to my stamp room! Simon Says Stamp is having a whole month of challenges for their Stamptember party and the first SSS Monday Challenge is to go bold with your stamping. That leaves it wide open for interpretation, until I spied Stacy's new Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge with the rich, gradient colors in the fall leaves and that was it!  I had a light bulb moment and knew that I wanted to try my hand at the bokeh (rhymes with bouquet) technique.  Plus, I was inspired by Monika Davis' gorgeous card using this technique!


I headed over to Dawn's tutorial HERE to refresh my memory.  I started with a panel of Tim Holtz watercolor cardstock (rough side up) and applied a water wash over the whole thing.  I then added Peacock Feathers and Peeled Paint distress inks.  While it was drying, I took a half dozen circle Nestabilities dies and placed them over a piece of acetate to create my ghetto stencil.  :-)  I then sponged on the two distress inks along with some white pigment ink - overlapping the circles as much as possible. 

You're probably wondering what this has to do with fall leaves, but I interpreted the overlapping and the gradient coloring rather than the literal subject and colors.  I'm clarifying so the challenge police won't cart me away! :-)

The feathers were die cut from vellum then white embossed using Waltzingmouse Stamps' Fine Feathers set.  The sentiment is a Wet Paint die by PTI. 

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Beautiful card!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Beautiful card Wanda. The bokeh technique looks wonderful with those colors. Oh, and the vellum feathers... so dreamy. Thank you for the shout out... and for playing along with us at Curtain Call.

Michelle said...

I love that you created the stencil to achieve those fabulous circles. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing your project with us this week for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. ~Michelle

Tracey McNeely said...

The white embossing really pops! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Curtain Call!

Amy Sheffer said...

Love the bokeh look, Wanda! Gorgeous and unique challenge interpretation -- no challenge police at Curtain Call! Thanks for playing along!

~amy~ said...

Oh my, this is so pretty...really love the bokeh technique!
Thanks for joining us at Curtain Call!