Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Color Throwdown & CASE Study Challenges




September is here...like it or not. We will be kissing summer weather goodbye, but I'm ready to embrace fall! With that said...it's time for a new Color Throwdown challenge and I had so much fun with these great earthy colors that Lynn has chosen! With a new month, we are welcoming a new guest designer and I'm thrilled to see Susan Roberts (aka rainy) from Rainy Day Creations as our new guest! Welcome Susan!


Gasp!  I actually created a one layer card!  That doesn't happen very often, but have to say, I was
pretty happy with the way it turned out.  I am also playing along with Chupa's CASE Study challenge where we were to be inspired by this   creation.  I stamped the diagonal "stripes" using SU's Gorgeous Grunge set - probably my fave set from their new catalog.  I then die cut 3 leaves using Spellbinders' maple leaves dies.  Here is where the fun really started!  I have no clue what this little tool (pictured below) is called, but I use it to stipple color onto paper. I stippled Sage Shadow, Kiwi Kiss and Old Olive inks onto the leaves and then used the same tool to add Old Olive ink to define the edges.  I wanted a hint of script on the leaves, so used the retired French Script background stamp (SU) with Chocolate Chip ink.
The sentiment (from Autumn Splendor by Verve) was stamped on a flag (Fishtail Flags Die-Namics by MFT) then popped with foam tape.  Leaves were also popped with foam tape.

Remember, you don't have to have the exact colors listed...just use something close.  Be sure to use the keyword CTD258 when you post to a public gallery and you also want to link it up on the Color Throwdown blog.

For more inspiration, you'll want to check out the projects by the rest of the design team...along with our September guest designer below. 

                                                       Barbara Anders - Paper Pursuits
Broni Holcombe - Splashes of Watercolor
Joan Ervin - Stamping With Passion
Tammy Hershberger - Stamp Happy
Vickie Zimmer -  Smitten
                                    Wanda Cullen - Cullen-ary Creations (you are here)
                                                  Susan Roberts - Rainy Day Creations 

8 comments:

Marisa said...

Fabulously done, Wanda!

Joan Ervin said...

I looove this, Wanda...your leaves are sooo pretty and I love the background you created!!! Way to go with the one layer!!!!

Lynn Put said...

Fantastic! For a one layered card I sure love all of the texture you've created using this week's colors!

Kim S said...

I love your use of the grunge set!

LeAnne said...

This is AWESOME!

Vickie Z said...

Lots of fun!! I've been eyeing the SU grunge and YOU are having so much fun with it....dang one more thing, LOL!! Oh....I have that brush tool....great for adding color...now if I can figure out where it is-going to bug the pot out of me now until I find it! And to think I have reorganized the craft room!!

Lori said...

So pretty, Wanda! Love the background you created with the grunge set.

Susan (rainy) said...

Such a gorgeous one layer design!! And thanks for the warm welcome. :)